Leonard Mada wrote:
I was wondering what coding algorithm does Calc use when implementing the various statistical functions?

REASON
=======
Although different formulas are mathematically identical, they give different *error estimates* when coded on a computer.

EXAMPLE
========
The variance can be calculated using any of 2 formulas: (using either n or n-1 won't affect the final result I wish to point at):
(1) sigma^2 = (1/n) * SUM(Xi^2) - mean^2,   OR
(2) sigma^2 = (1/n) * SUM(Xi - mean)^2,  where i = 1 to n;

Variance and related functions were changed for OOo 2.0, see issue 22811. There is probably still room for similar improvement in other functions (issue 18704 has some starting points, and we have the results of the "Function Validation" Summer of Code project at http://sc.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList). As far as I know, nobody is currently working on that subject, help is welcome.

Niklas