On 09/26/08 17:50, Regina Henschel wrote:
I'll introduce new functions and I'm uncertain, how I should write the strings in the mentioned resource file.

(1) Upper or lower case? If I give the type of the parameter, should I use lower or upper case, for example "Number" or "number"? Same if I give the name of the parameter, for example "alpha" or "Alpha"?

Name, not type, see below. It's not really consistent in the existing functions, so one could say it doesn't matter. Probably better to use upper case, because an all-lower-case string can always be generated.

(2) Excel shows a tooltip when you enter a function, for example (German) 'GAMMAVERT(x;Alpha;Beta;Kumuliert)'. Will there be a similar feature in OOo? If yes, will the tooltip be generated from the part 'Name of Parameter' of the resource file?

Something similar is in progress, see issue 86856. The same kind of summary is already visible in the Function Wizard, if you select a function, before double-clicking or selecting "Next", or if you double-click a function in the "Function List" window (one is with optional parameters, the other without). All of them use the "Name of Parameter x" strings.

(3) Should the type be combined with the name? For example "Cumulative (logical)" or only the type "Logical" or name "Cumulative" and the other information in the description?

Just the name. In some functions the parameter name is "value" or "text", but here it should be just "Cumulative".

(4) Are there any restrictions in the length of the strings 'Description', 'Name of Parameter' and 'Description of Parameter'?

There's no fixed string length limit, but if they are too long, they won't fit into the Function Wizard dialog.

Niklas