On 09/19/09 22:15, Regina Henschel wrote:
the submitter of issue 105182 closed the issue, because he find a way to solve his problem. But for me the situation is not clear.

=ISREF(D1:D3!C2:E2) returns TRUE
but
=ISREF(INDIRECT("D1:D3!C2:E2")) returns FALSE

=ISREF(A1~B1) returns TRUE
but
=ISREF(INDIRECT("A1~B1")) returns FALSE

And INDIRECT("(A1:C3):(B2:D4)") fails too.

Are expressions as text not allowed for INDIRECT or are they allowed but not implemented yet?

INDIRECT is supposed to parse a reference, not any more complex expression.

And same with issue 104969, References to external sheets not allowed or allowed but still need to be implemented?

INDIRECT with external references works (works again, see issue 101645). The problem in issue 104969 seems to be the use of OFFSET together with external references.

And what about all type of names? INDIRECT("name") will fail. I know, that is mentioned in the help. But must it fail?

The help is outdated here. Support for named ranges was added some time ago (issue 4695).

Niklas