Hi Lewis,
Sentry provides role-based access control for a number of Hadoop services.
It does not provide the full-stack security hardening you are looking for
but it is an important part of the picture. The Cloudera documentation on
Sentry goes a long way to explaining  what Sentry is and how it works. If
you'd like to learn more this a good place to start.

https://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-7-x/topics/sg_sentry_overview.html

Secure mode i.e. Kerberos authentication is essential if you are going to
run Sentry, otherwise users can trivially bypass the access control
provided by Sentry. If you're looking at securing the whole cluster then
there's a lot to consider and you could do worse than to read Hadoop
Security from O'Reilly Books.

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920033332.do

Regards,
Jim

--
*Jim Halfpenny*
Solutions Architect

*M*   +44 (0) 7793 826085  | jhalfpe...@cloudera.com
Cloudera Inc. | www.cloudera.com
Celebrating a decade of community accomplishments
cloudera.com/hadoop10
#hadoop10