Sasha,

See my response in-line below

-Kalyan

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Alexander Kolbasov <ak...@cloudera.com>
wrote:

> Kalyan,
>
> Thank you for pushing forward 2.0 release!
>
> > On Oct 13, 2017, at 7:20 AM, Kalyan Kumar Kalvagadda <
> kkal...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > We need to release sentry HA functionality so that community can start
> > using it. In this regard I proposed to have a sentry 1.9.0 release as
> there
> > were some outstanding issues integrating with Hive. Community was not
> > positive on this proposal for various reasons.
>
> It would be great if you can summarize these reasons here for future
> reference.
> One major concern was that sentry 1.9.0 should still be backward
> compatible and work with Hive1.1.

> > With recent findings we think we don't have to wait for Hive fixes. With
> > the changes that are planned for below listed Jira's sentry would use a
> > combination of Semantic Hooks and AuthV2 interface to integrate with HIVE
> > 2.0.
>
> In your earlier email regarding 1.9 release you also mention issues with
> moving up to Java 8 and some issues with Solr-7 integration. Does this mean
> that you have a better idea of how to deal with these issues now?
> Yes, Changes for java version bumup are under review and the code changes
> for Solr-6 integration will be co
>

> >   1. SENTRY-1978 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-1978>
> -Move
> >   the hive-authz2 grant/revoke implementation into the
> sentry-binding-hive
> >   module
>
> This looks like “refactoring change” so it doesn’t actually change any
> existing functionality - right?

This is not just refactoring. With this change Sentry would use the
Schematic Hook implemented as part of Authv-2 support. Sentry still would
still continue using the older implementation for PreAnalyze and
PostAnalyze schematic hooks.

> >   1. SENTRY-1980 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-1980>-
> Move
> >   the hive-authz2 HMS client filtering implementation into the
> >   sentry-binding-hive module.
>
> Same here - this seems to be a refactoring change which doesn’t affect any
> existing functionality.
> This is not just refactoring. With this change Sentry would use the
> Schematic Hook implemented as part of Authv-2 support. Sentry still would
> still continue using the older implementation for PreAnalyze and
> PostAnalyze schematic hooks.
> I think you are referring to some planned follow-up work to actually solve
> the authorization problem for Hive 2 - right? Yes.
>

> > I have created a umbrella jira for releasing Sentry 2.0 .
> >
> >   1. SENTRY-1982 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SENTRY-1982>
> -Release
> >   sentry 2.0.0 upstream
> >

> > I have linked issues that are blocking the release. If you see any issue
> > that is blocking please attach it to this jira. That way we can fix them
> > and clear all the road blocks for releasing SENTYR 2.0.0
>
> What is your impression once you looked at these issues - do you think
> that you should be able to fix majority of these or do you think that these
> ca nbe simply moved out of the release?

Issues blocking SENTRY-1982 should be fixed before sentry 2.0.0 is released.