On Nov 6, 2006, at 3:45 PM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

Well, no, since I just published a snapshot. :)  IMO, the snapshot
repo should always have the latest-- Continuum ought to be publishing
a new one every time code is checked in, or at least nightly.

On [EMAIL PROTECTED], we've talked about switching to timestamped snapshots,
so that other projects could depend on a particular Tiles snapshot,
and not necessarily the latest.

I saw that discussion, but didn't really have time to digest it. I think there needs to be a way to publish milestone builds. Not a significant milestone like an RC, but more like an incremental milestone. For example, there are big changes being made with Tiles. Along the way, changes happen in chunks. At the end of a "chunk" applications can migrate to "chunk"-compatibility. Over time, it allows apps to migrate incrementally as the framework changes and by the end of the revolution, they are up to date. Right now we're in the middle of a change cycle and it doesn't really make sense to update code until this change cycle is complete.

So.. what I would like is the ability to publish a dated snapshot, perhaps manually, when a change cycle is complete. I don't see the need to publish a new one with every minute change that happens. It makes more sense to publish one when a series of changes is complete.

Greg