Hi Robert

Thanks for pushing the conversion forward!

IIUC your script uses https://github.com/apache/sling as the source
repository. I believe this is created using git-svn. (I'd be happy for
a pointer that I am wrong!)

According to Eric Raymond (http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6778), who claims
to have some experience with svn to git migrations, git-svn is not up
to the task. Maybe that's where the history is lost.

In any case, I think we need to start the migration from the SVN
repository, given that https://github.com/apache/sling already lacks
the history.

Maybe reposurgeon, the tool E. Raymond wrote, can help overcome the
issue with lost history when copying branches?

Regards
Julian