Felix Logback currently supports configuring via logback.xml config
file and if logging needs to be changed then that file would need to
be modified. Compared to that Sling Commons Logback [1] support some
more features and enables configuring appenders via OSGi config and
has a good Web Console integration.

> if it makes sense to try and converge the two
> modules into a single one, presumably in Apache Felix, as it does not
> depend on Sling and can get more community exposure.

+1

Implementation wise Commons Log does not depend on any Sling feature
(except using sling.home to configure base log directory). So it makes
sense to converge the two

Chetan Mehrotra
[1] http://sling.apache.org/documentation/development/logging.html