Yes, self registration by an anonymous user is disabled by default.  This
self-registration configuration can be changed by navigating to
http://localhost:8080/system/console/configMgr and modify the configuration
of the "Apache Sling Create User" component.

Or as Robert stated, the admin user can still do the action regardless of
the configuration.