`-Plucene.dev.path=[path]` in particular can be useful for iterative
development of Lucene as used in the context of Solr, or as
cross-checked through Solr tests.

IIRC I've found that the versions.props/lock bypasses mavenLocal and
always tries to re-download dependencies? Jar checksums might also be
an issue (I forget how it's determined when jar checksums are
necessary).

Generally the `-Plucene.dev.*` approaches are just convenience -- I'm
sure there are other ways to achieve nearly the same result. But I
remember concluding that achieving the same result would require
running an actual maven server (like, http). Developing with
`-Plucene.dev.path` provides quite a good experience (esp. given the
gradle support in IntelliJ/Idea), with up-to-date stack traces to
editable Lucene code, etc.

I'm definitely curious to hear more about your experience, whether you
pursue the `-Plucene.dev.*` approach or the `versions.props/locl`
approach, and I'm happy to help take a look at making error messages
more helpful.

Michael