Apparently ZooKeeper 3.5 implements the removal of Watchers[1] (thanks
Ilan for this FYI).
It seems helpful for SolrCloud to remove watchers that are no longer
pertinent.  This isn't an area I'm familiar with.  I see that the
Curator framework supports it too.  Has anyone else looked into using
this?  For example to manage state.json watchers.  Granted for that
one, you may need a local ref-count, probably.  Or use one Watcher per
replica; not sure if that's a scale concern.  Also curious if others
have considered what it would look like for Curator to manage watching
collection states -- like what utilities Curator has that would be
well suited.

[1]
https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/current/zookeeperProgrammers.html#sc_WatchRemoval

~ David Smiley