Hi David,

Few questions on breeze solvers:

1. I feel the right place of adding useful things from RISO LBFGS (based on
Professor Nocedal's fortran code) will be breeze. It will involve stress
testing breeze LBFGS on large sparse datasets and contributing fixes to
existing breeze LBFGS with the learning from RISO LBFGS.

You agree on that right ?

2. Normally for doing experiments like 1, I fix the line search. What's
your preferred line search in breeze BFGS ? I will also use that.

More Thuente and Strong wolfe with backtracking helped me in the past.

3. The paper that you sent also says on L-BFGS-B is better on box
constraints. I feel It's worthwhile to have both the solvers because many
practical problems need box constraints or complex constraints can be
reformulated in the realm of unconstrained and box constraints.

Example use-cases for me are automatic feature extraction from photo/video
frames using factorization.

I will compare L-BFGS-B vs constrained QN method that you have in Breeze
within an analysis similar to 1.

4. Do you have a road-map on adding CG solvers in breeze ? Linear CG solver
to compare with BLAS posv seems like a good usecase for me in mllib ALS.
DB sent a paper by Professor Ng which shows the effectiveness of CG and
BFGS over SGD in the email chain.

I believe on non-convex problems like Matrix Factorization, CG family might
converge to a better solution than BFGS. No way to know till we experiment
on the datasets :-)

Thanks.
Deb