Thanks Sean,

I assume you are building with maven and not sbt?   It completely fails for me.
maven version is 3.1.0.  I'm also building for yarn but I don't think that
matters (mvn  -Dyarn.version=0.23.10 -Dhadoop.version=0.23.10  -Pyarn-alpha
package -DskipTests).

 I changed the pom to use http rather then https and it works now for me.

Tom