After just spending a couple days fighting with a new spark installation,
getting spark and hadoop version numbers matching everywhere, I have a
suggestion I'd like to put out there.

Can we put the hadoop version against which the spark jars were built into
the version number?

I noticed that the Cloudera maven repo has started to do this (
https://repository.cloudera.com/artifactory/cloudera-repos/org/apache/spark/spark-core_2.10/)
- sadly, though, only with the cdh5.x versions, not with the 4.x versions
for which they also have spark parcels.  But I see no signs of it in the
central maven repo.

Is this already done in some other repo about which I don't know, perhaps?

I know it would save us a lot of time and grief simply to be able to point
a project we build at the right version, and not have to rebuild and deploy
spark manually.

--
Nathan Kronenfeld
Senior Visualization Developer