Hi Patrick, thanks for taking a look.  I filed as

Would you recommend I pursue the cloned Configuration object approach now
and send in a PR?

Reynold's recent announcement of the broadcast RDD object patch may also
have implications of the right path forward here.  I'm not sure I fully
understand the implications though:
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/1452

"Once this is committed, we can also remove the JobConf broadcast in
HadoopRDD."

Thanks!
Andrew