----- Original Message -----
> Rather than embrace non-lazy transformations and add more of them, I'd
> rather we 1) try to fully characterize the needs that are driving their
> creation/usage; and 2) design and implement new Spark abstractions that
> will allow us to meet those needs and eliminate existing non-lazy
> transformation.

In the case of drop, obtaining the index of the boundary partition can be
viewed as the action forcing compute -- one that happens to be invoked inside
of a transform.  The concept of a "lazy action", that is only triggered if the
result rdd has compute invoked on it, might be sufficient to restore laziness
to the drop transform.   For that matter, I might find some way to make use of
Scala lazy values directly and achieve the same goal for drop.