I've always operated under the assumption that if a commiter makes a
comment on a PR, and that's not addressed, that should block the PR
from being merged (even without a specific "-1"). I don't know of any
cases where this has intentionally been violated, but I do think this
happens accidentally some times.

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to use those github hooks because of
the way the ASF github integration works.

I've lately been using a custom-made tool to help review pull
requests. One thing I could do is add a feature here saying which
committers have said LGTM on a PR (vs the ones that have commented).
We could also indicate the latest test status as Green/Yellow/Red
based on the Jenkins comments:

http://pwendell.github.io/spark-github-shim/

As a warning to potential users, my tool might crash your browser.

- Patrick