Hi,

I just filed a bug
SPARK-4906<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-4906>, regarding Spark
master OOMs. If I understand correctly, the UI states for all running
applications are kept in memory retained by JobProgressListener, and when there
are a lot of exception stack traces, this UI states can take up a significant
amount of heap. This seems very bad especially for long-running applications.

Can you correct me if I’m misunderstanding anything? If my understanding is
correct, is there any work being done to make sure the UI states don’t grow
indefinitely over time? Would it make sense to spill some states to disk or
work with what spark.eventLog is doing so Spark master doesn’t need to keep
things in memory?

Thanks,
Mingyu