I'd love to get both of these in.  There is some trickiness that I talk
about on the JIRA for timestamps since the SQL timestamp class can support
nano seconds and I don't think parquet has a type for this.  Other systems
(impala) seem to use INT96.  It would be great to maybe ask on the parquet
mailing list what the plan is there to make sure that whatever we do is
going to be compatible long term.

Michael