While it might be possible to move this concept to Spark Core long-term,
supporting structured data efficiently does require quite a bit of the
infrastructure in Spark SQL, such as query planning and columnar storage. The
intent of Spark SQL though is to be more than a SQL server -- it's meant to be
a library for manipulating structured data. Since this is possible to build
over the core API, it's pretty natural to organize it that way, same as Spark
Streaming is a library.

Matei