I'd expect that we can make GPU-accelerated BLAS faster than CPU blas in
many cases.

You might consider taking a look at the codepaths that BIDMat (
https://github.com/BIDData/BIDMat) takes and comparing them to
netlib-java/breeze. John Canny et. al. have done a bunch of work optimizing
to make this work really fast from Scala. I've run it on my laptop and
compared to MKL and in certain cases it's 10x faster at matrix multiply.
There are a lot of layers of indirection here and you really want to avoid
data copying as much as possible.

We could also consider swapping out BIDMat for Breeze, but that would be a
big project and if we can figure out how to get breeze+cublas to comparable
performance that would be a big win.