In my experience I find it much more natural to use // for short multi-line
comments (2 or 3 lines), and /* */ for long multi-line comments involving
one or more paragraphs. For short multi-line comments, there is no reason
not to use // if it just so happens that your first line exceeded 100
characters and you have to wrap it. For long multi-line comments, however,
using // all the way looks really awkward especially if you have multiple
paragraphs.

Thus, I would actually suggest that we don't try to pick a favorite and
document that both are acceptable. I don't expect developers to follow my
exact usage (i.e. with a tipping point of 2-3 lines) so I wouldn't enforce
anything specific either.