Excellent. Explicit toDF() works.
a) employees.toDF().registerTempTable("Employees") - works
b) Also affects saveAsParquetFile - orders.toDF().saveAsParquetFile

Adding to my earlier tests:
4.0 SQL from Scala and Python
4.1 result = sqlContext.sql("SELECT * from Employees WHERE State = 'WA'") OK
4.2 result = sqlContext.sql("SELECT
OrderDetails.OrderID,ShipCountry,UnitPrice,Qty,Discount FROM Orders INNER
JOIN OrderDetails ON Orders.OrderID = OrderDetails.OrderID") OK
4.3 result = sqlContext.sql("SELECT ShipCountry, Sum(OrderDetails.UnitPrice
* Qty * Discount) AS ProductSales FROM Orders INNER JOIN OrderDetails ON
Orders.OrderID = OrderDetails.OrderID GROUP BY ShipCountry") OK
4.4 saveAsParquetFile OK
4.5 Read and verify the 4.4 save - sqlContext.parquetFile,
registerTempTable, sql OK

Cheers & thanks Michael
<k/>