Yes, recently we improved ParquetRelation2 quite a bit. Spark SQL uses its own Parquet support to read partitioned Parquet tables declared in Hive metastore. Only writing to partitioned tables is not covered yet. These improvements will be included in Spark 1.3.0.

Just created SPARK-5948 to track writing to partitioned Parquet tables.

Cheng