From: Joseph Bradley [mailto:jos...@databricks.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2015 06:48 PM
To: m...@mbowles.com
Cc: dev@spark.apache.org
Subject: Re: Have Friedman's glmnet algo running in Spark

Hi Mike,glmnet has definitely been very successful, and it would be great to
seehow we can improve optimization in MLlib! There is some related workongoing;
here are the JIRAs:GLMNET implementation in SparkLinearRegression with L1/L2
(elastic net) using OWLQN in new ML packageThe GLMNET JIRA has actually been
closed in favor of the latter JIRA.However, if you're getting good results in
your experiments, could youplease post them on the GLMNET JIRA and link them
from the other JIRA? Ifit's faster and more scalable, that would be great to
find out.As far as where the code should go and the APIs, that can be discussed
onthe JIRA.I hope this helps, and I'll keep an eye out for updates on the
JIRAs!JosephOn Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 10:59 AM,  wrote:> Dev List,> A couple of
colleagues and I have gotten several versions of glmnet algo> coded and running
on Spark RDD. glmnet algo (> http://www.jstatsoft.org/v33/i01/paper) is a very
fast algorithm for> generating coefficient paths solving penalized regression
with elastic net> penalties. The algorithm runs fast by taking an approach that
generates> solutions for a wide variety of penalty parameter. We're able to
integrate> into Mllib class structure a couple of different ways. The algorithm
may> fit better into the new pipeline structure since it naturally returns a>
multitide of models (corresponding to different vales of penalty> parameters).
That appears to fit better into pipeline than Mllib linear> regression (for
example).>> We've got regression running with the speed optimizations that
Friedman> recommends. We'll start working on the logistic regression version
next.>> We're eager to make the code available as open source and would like
to> get some feedback about how best to do that. Any thoughts?> Mike Bowles.>>>