I have a strong dislike for java enum's due to the fact that they
are not stable across JVM's - if it undergoes serde, you end up with
unpredictable results at times [1].
One of the reasons why we prevent enum's from being key : though it is
highly possible users might depend on it internally and shoot
themselves in the foot.

Would be better to keep away from them in general and use something more stable.

Regards,
Mridul

[1] Having had to debug this issue for 2 weeks - I really really hate it.