>> Potentially an issue with the test runner, rather than the tests themselves.
>
> Sorry, that was me over-generalizing. The output is generally fine,
> except for certain classes of tests (especially those that need to
> fork a child process or even multiple processes). In those cases, most
> of the interesting output ends up in logs, and the error reported by
> scalatest is very generic.
>
> --
> Marcelo

I've been seeing (and remember, I've only recently started playing with
funsuite), that the logs go to target/unit.log; edit log4j.properties to go to
stdout and they go to stdout -but they don't go into the surefire logs. That
is, the test runner isn't generating the classic <junit> XML report with its
sections of stdout and stderr. While that format has its limitations, and you
can certainly do better (ideally every log level event should be captured; let
you turn them on/off, pull in threads, correlate timestamps across machines,
etc, etc), having Junit & jenkins reports which include all the output logs
testcase-by-testcase is pretty foundational. Maybe there's some way to turn it
on that I haven't seen.