We added ExpectedInputConversion rule recently in analysis:
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/sql/catalyst/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/sql/catalyst/analysis/HiveTypeCoercion.scala#L647

With this rule, the analyzer automatically adds cast for expressions that
inherit ExpectsInputTypes. We can make all string functions inherit
ExpectsInputTypes and specify input types, so the casts are added
automatically. Would you like to submit a PR?