I don't think it's useful to combine them since they are different projects. But I do think that a lot of work went into Flink's paged memory system built on byte buffers and if collaboration can take place to pop that out into like a memory subsystem library that both Spark and Flink can use then it should raise both ships. If the usage patterns are too different then sure, don't use their work. But it looks pretty generic:

https://github.com/apache/flink/tree/master/flink-core/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/core/memory

To bring this back into other threads: Flink's memory system uses java.nio - so it requires Java 1.7 afaik. :)

-Ewan