I think Reynold’s argument shows the impossibility of the general case.

But a “maximum object depth” hint could enable a new input format to do its job
both efficiently and correctly in the common case where the input is an array
of similarly structured objects! I’d certainly be interested in an
implementation along those lines.

Cheers,

Joe

http://www.joehalliwell.com