On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 5:22 AM Peter Prettenhofer <
peter.prettenho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Akhil, Ryan!
>
> @Akhil: YARN can only tell me how much vcores my app has been granted but
> not actual cpu usage, right? Pulling mem/cpu usage from the OS means i need
> to map JVM executor processes to the context they belong to, right?
>
> @Ryan: what a great blog post -- this is super relevant for me to analyze
> the state of the cluster as a whole. However, it seems to me that those
> metrics are mostly reported globally and not per spark application.

Thanks! You can definitely analyze metrics per-application in several ways:

   - If you're running Spark on YARN, use the "app" URL param
   <https://github.com/hammerlab/grafana-spark-dashboards#appyarn-app-id>
   to specify a YARN application ID, which will set the Spark application ID
   as well as parse job start/end times.
   - Set the "prefix" URL param
   <https://github.com/hammerlab/grafana-spark-dashboards#prefixmetric-prefix>
   to your Spark app's ID, and all metrics will be namespaced to that app ID.
      - You actually have to do one of these two, otherwise it doesn't know
      what app's metrics to look for; it is set up specifically to view per-app
      metrics.
   - There is a dropdown in the upper-left of the page (sorry, don't have a
   screenshot right now) that will let you select from all app IDs that
   graphite has seen metrics from.

Let me know, here or in issues on the repo, if you have any issues with
that or that doesn't make sense!