cc Hossein who knows more about the spark-csv options

You are right that the default CSV reader options end up creating all
columns as string. I know that the JSON reader infers the schema [1] but I
don't know if the CSV reader has any options to do that.  Regarding the
SparkR syntax to cast columns, I think there is a simpler way to do it by
just assigning to the same column name. For example I have a flights
DataFrame with the `year` column typed as string. To cast it to int I just
use

flights$year <- cast(flights$year, "int")

Now the dataframe has the same number of columns as before and you don't
need a selection.

However this still doesn't address the part about casting multiple columns
-- Could you file a new JIRA to track the need for casting multiple columns
or rather being able to set the schema after loading a DF ?

Thanks
Shivaram

[1]
http://spark.apache.org/docs/latest/sql-programming-guide.html#json-datasets