>From a developer perspective, I also find it surprising to hear that
nightly builds should be hidden from non-developer end users. In an
age of Github, what on earth is the problem with distributing the
content of master? However I do understand why this exists.

To the extent the ASF provides any value, it is at least a legal
framework for defining what it means for you and I to give software to
a bunch of other people. Software artifacts released according to an
ASF process becomes something the ASF can take responsibility for as
an entity. Nightly builds are not. It might matter to the committers
if, say, somebody commits a serious data loss bug. You don't want to
be on the hook individually for putting that into end-user hands.

More practically, I think this exists to prevent some projects from
lazily depending on unofficial nightly builds as pseudo-releases for
long periods of time. End users may come to perceive them as official
sanctioned releases when they aren't. That's not the case here of
course.

I think nightlies aren't for end-users anyway, and I think developers
who care would know how to get nightlies anyway. There's little cost
to moving this info to the wiki, so I'd do it.