Hello Spark community,

I was looking through the code in order to understand better how RDD is
persisted to Tachyon off-heap filesystem. It looks like that the Tachyon
filesystem is hard-coded and there is no way to switch to another in-memory
filesystem. I think it would be great if the implementation of the
BlockManager and BlockStore would be able to plug in another filesystem.

For example, Apache Ignite also has an implementation of in-memory
filesystem which can store data in on-heap and off-heap formats. It would
be great if it could integrate with Spark.

I have filed a ticket in Jira:

If it makes sense, I will be happy to contribute to it.

Thoughts?

-Alexey (Apache Ignite PMC)