Hi all,

FYI, we just merged a patch that fails a build if there is a scala compiler
warning (if it is not deprecation warning).

In the past, many compiler warnings are actually caused by legitimate bugs
that we need to address. However, if we don't fail the build with warnings,
people don't pay attention at all to the warnings (it is also tough to pay
attention since there are a lot of deprecated warnings due to unit tests
testing deprecated APIs and reliance on Hadoop on deprecated APIs).

Note that ideally we should be able to mark deprecation warnings as errors
as well. However, due to the lack of ability to suppress individual warning
messages in the Scala compiler, we cannot do that (since we do need to
access deprecated APIs in Hadoop).