It does not cause any problem when building using maven. But when doing
eclipse:eclipse, the generated .classpath files contained only
<classpathentry kind="src" including="**/*.java" path="src"/>. This caused
all the .scala sources to be ignored and caused all kinds of eclipse build
errors. It resolved only when I added prebuild jars in the java build path,
and it also prevented me from debugging spark code.

I understand eclipse:eclipse is not recommended way of creating eclipse
projects, but thats how I noticed this issue.

As sean said, its a matter of code organization, and its confusing to find
java files in src/main/scala. In my env, I moved the files and did not see
notice any issues. Unless there is any specific purpose, it will be better
if the code is reorganized.