You can check out Spree <https://github.com/hammerlab/spree> for one data
point about how this can be done; it is a near-clone of the Spark web UI
that updates in real-time.

It uses JsonRelay <https://github.com/hammerlab/spark-json-relay>, a
SparkListener that sends events as JSON over the network; it receives those
events, aggregates stats similar to the JobProgressListener and writes
those to Mongo in slim <https://github.com/hammerlab/slim>, and then Spree
uses Meteor to display a real-time web UI based on the data in Mongo.