Are you referring to spark.shuffle.manager=tungsten-sort? If so, we saw the
default value as still being as the regular sort, and since it was only
first introduced in 1.5, were actually waiting a bit to see if anyone
ENABLED it as opposed to DISABLING it since - it's disabled by default! :)

I recall enabling it during testing within our dev environment, but didn't
have a comparable workload and environment to our production cluster, so we
were going to play it safe and wait until 1.6 in case there were any major
changes / regressions that weren't seen during 1.5 testing!

Mark.