OK I'm not exactly asking for a vote here :)

I don't think we should look at it from only maintenance point of view --
because in that case the answer is clearly supporting as few versions as
possible (or just rm -rf spark source code and call it a day). It is a
tradeoff between the number of users impacted and the maintenance burden.

So a few questions for those more familiar with Hadoop:

1. Can Hadoop 2.6 client read Hadoop 2.4 / 2.3?

2. If the answer to 1 is yes, are there known, major issues with backward
compatibility?

3. Can Hadoop 2.6+ YARN work on older versions of YARN clusters?

4. (for Hadoop vendors) When did/will support for Hadoop 2.4 and below
stop? To what extent do you care about running Spark on older Hadoop
clusters.