From: Disha Shrivastava [mailto:dishu....@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 4:03 AM
To: Ulanov, Alexander
Cc: dev@spark.apache.org
Subject: Re: Data and Model Parallelism in MLPC

Hi,
I went through the code for implementation of MLPC and couldn't understand why
stacking/unstacking of the input data has been done. The description says "
Block size for stacking input data in matrices to speed up the computation.
Data is stacked within partitions. If block size is more than remaining data in
a partition then it is adjusted to the size of this data. Recommended size is
between 10 and 1000. Default: 128". I am not pretty sure what this means and
how does this attain speed in computation?
Also, I couldn't find exactly how data parallelism as depicted in
http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/hi//archive/large_deep_networks_nips2012.pdf<http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/hi/archive/large_deep_networks_nips2012.pdf>
 is incorporated in the existing code. There seems to be no notion of parameter
server and optimization routine is also normal LBFGS not Sandblaster LBFGS. The
only parallelism seems to be coming from the way input data is read and stored.
Please correct me if I am wrong and clarify my doubt.
Thanks and Regards,
Disha

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 5:40 PM, Disha Shrivastava