I noticed that the Jackson dependency was bumped to 2.5 in master for
something spark-streaming related. Is there any reason that this upgrade
can't be included with 1.6.1?

According to later comments on this thread:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-8332 and my personal experience
using with Spark with Jackson 2.5 hasn't caused any issues but it does have
some useful new features. It should be fully backwards compatible according
to the Jackson folks.