i.  An ASF project can clearly decide that some of its code is no
longer worth maintaining and delete it.  This isn't really any
different. It's still apache licensed so ultimately whoever wants the
code can get it.

ii.  I think part of the rationale is to not tie release management to
Spark, so it can proceed on a schedule that makes sense.  I'm fine
with helping out with release management for the Kafka subproject, for
instance.  I agree that practical governance questions need to be
worked out.

iii.  How is this any different from how python users get access to
any other third party Spark package?