Why would this need to be an ASF project of its own? I don't think
it's possible to have a yet another separate "Spark Extras" TLP (?)

There is already a project to manage these bits of code on Github. How
about all of the interested parties manage the code there, under the
same process, under the same license, etc?

I'm not against calling it Spark Extras myself but I wonder if that
needlessly confuses the situation. They aren't part of the Spark TLP
on purpose, so trying to give it some special middle-ground status
might just be confusing. The thing that comes to mind immediately is
"Connectors for Apache Spark", spark-connectors, etc.