Have you seen any successful applications of this for Spark 1.x/2.x?

>From the doc "The classifier allows to distinguish artifacts that were
built from the same POM but differ in their content."

We'd be building from different POMs, since we'd be modifying the Spark
dependency version (and presumably any other dependencies that needed the
same Spark 1.x/2.x distinction).