Spark's branch-2.0 is a maintenance branch, effectively meaning that only
bug-fixes will be added to it.  There are other maintenance branches (such
as branch-1.6) that are also receiving bug-fixes in theory, but not so much
in fact as maintenance branches get older.  The major and minor version
numbers of maintenance branches stay fixed, with only the patch-level
version number changing as new releases are made from a maintenance
branch.  Thus, the next release from branch-2.0 will be 2.0.1, the set of
bug-fixes contributing to the next branch-2.0 release will result in 2.0.2,
etc.

New work, both bug-fixes and non-bug-fixes, is contributed to the master
branch.  New releases from the master branch increment the minor version
number (unless they include API-breaking changes, in which case the major
version number changes -- e.g. Spark 1.x.y to Spark 2.0.0).  Thus the first
release from the current master branch will be 2.1.0, the next will be
2.2.0, etc.

There should be active "next JIRA numbers" for whatever will be the next
release from the master as well as each of the maintenance branches.

This is all just basic SemVer (http://semver.org/), so it surprises me some
that you are finding the concepts to be new, difficult or frustrating.