From: Mingjie Tang <tangr...@gmail.com<mailto:tangr...@gmail.com>>
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: Feedback on MLlib roadmap process proposal
To: Seth Hendrickson
<seth.hendrickso...@gmail.com<mailto:seth.hendrickso...@gmail.com>>
Cc: Joseph Bradley <jos...@databricks.com<mailto:jos...@databricks.com>>,
<dev@spark.apache.org<mailto:dev@spark.apache.org>>

+1 general abstractions like distributed linear algebra.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 8:54 AM, Seth Hendrickson
<seth.hendrickso...@gmail.com<mailto:seth.hendrickso...@gmail.com>> wrote:
I think the proposal laid out in SPARK-18813 is well done, and I do think it is
going to improve the process going forward. I also really like the idea of
getting the community to vote on JIRAs to give some of them priority - provided
that we listen to those votes, of course. The biggest problem I see is that we
do have several active contributors and those who want to help implement these
changes, but PRs are reviewed rather sporadically and I imagine it is very
difficult for contributors to understand why some get reviewed and some do not.
The most important thing we can do, given that MLlib currently has a very
limited committer review bandwidth, is to make clear issues that, if worked on,
will definitely get reviewed. A hard thing to do in open source, no doubt, but
even if we have to limit the scope of such issues to a very small subset, it's
a gain for all I think.

On a related note, I would love to hear some discussion on the higher level
goal of Spark MLlib (if this derails the original discussion, please let me
know and we can discuss in another thread). The roadmap does contain specific
items that help to convey some of this (ML parity with MLlib, model
persistence, etc...), but I'm interested in what the "mission" of Spark MLlib
is. We often see PRs for brand new algorithms which are sometimes rejected and
sometimes not. Do we aim to keep implementing more and more algorithms? Or is
our focus really, now that we have a reasonable library of algorithms, to
simply make the existing ones faster/better/more robust? Should we aim to make
interfaces that are easily extended for developers to easily implement their
own custom code (e.g. custom optimization libraries), or do we want to restrict
things to out-of-the box algorithms? Should we focus on more flexible, general
abstractions like distributed linear algebra?

I was not involved in the project in the early days of MLlib when this
discussion may have happened, but I think it would be useful to either revisit
it or restate it here for some of the newer developers.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Joseph Bradley