Following up on this with a renewed plea to file JIRAs when you see flaky
tests.  I did a quick skim of the PR builder, and there were 17 times in
the last week when a flaky test led to a Jenkins failure, and someone
re-ran the tests without filing (or updating) a JIRA (my apologies to
anyone who was incorrectly added here):

cloud-fan (4)
gatorsmile (4)
wzhfy (4)
holdenk (1)
kunalkhamar (1)
hyukjinkwon (1)
scrapcodes (1)
srowen (1)

Are you on this list?  It's not too late to look at the test that failed
and file (or update) the appropriate JIRA.

If you weren't convinced by my last email, here are some reasons to file a
JIRA:

(0) Flaky tests are not always broken tests -- sometimes the underlying
code is broken. (e.g., SPARK-19803
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-19803>, SPARK-19988
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-19988>, SPARK-19072
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-19072>)

(1) Before a flaky test gets fixed, some human needs to file a JIRA.  The
person who sees the flaky test via the PR builder is best suited to do
this, because you already had to look at which test failed (to make sure it
wasn't related to your change) and you know the test is flaky (because
you're re-running it assuming it will succeed), at which point it takes <1
minute to file a JIRA

(2) Related to the above, existing automation is not sufficient.  Josh's
tool is very useful for debugging flaky tests [1] but it does not yet
automatically file JIRAs.  Many recent flaky tests might have shown up on
the nifty interesting recent failures dashboard, but they didn't get
noticed until they were failing for more than a week and dropped from that
dashboard.  One recent test, SPARK-19990
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-19990>, was causing *every*
Maven build to fail for over > 1 week, but was only noticed when someone
filed a JIRA as a result of a flaky PR test.

(3) JIRAs result in helpful people fixing the tests!  If you're interested
in doing this, the flaky test label
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-19989?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20labels%20%3D%20flaky-test>
is
a good place to start.  Many thanks to folks who have recently helped with
filing and fixing flaky tests: Sital Kedia, Song Jun, Xiao Li, Shubham
Chopra, Shixiong Zhu, Genmao Yu, Imran Rashid, and I'm sure many more (this
list is based on a quick JIRA skim).

Thanks!!

Kay

[1] You can create a URL using the "suite_name" and optionally "test_name"
GET parameters in Josh's app to investigate a flaky test; e.g., to see how
often the "hive bucketing is not supported" test in ShowCreateTableSuite
has been failing:
https://spark-tests.appspot.com/test-details?suite_name=org.apache.spark.sql.hive.ShowCreateTableSuite&test_name=hive+bucketing+is+not+supported
(be
patient -- it takes a minute and sometimes a re-load to work).