Thanks for the extra context, Frank. I agree that it sounds like your
problem comes from the conflict between your Jars and what comes with
Spark. Its the same concern that makes everyone shudder when anything has a
public dependency on Jackson. :)

What we usually do to get around situations like this is to relocate the
problem library inside the shaded Jar. That way, Spark uses its version of
Avro and your classes use a different version of Avro. This works if you
don't need to share classes between the two. Would that work for your
situation?

rb

>>> fnoth...@eecs.berkeley.edu

--