+1 (binding)

I personally believe that there is quite a big difference between having a
generic data source interface with a low surface area and pushing down a
significant part of query processing into a datasource. The later has much
wider wider surface area and will require us to stabilize most of the
internal catalyst API's which will be a significant burden on the community
to maintain and has the potential to slow development velocity
significantly. If you want to write such integrations then you should be
prepared to work with catalyst internals and own up to the fact that things
might change across minor versions (and in some cases even maintenance
releases). If you are willing to go down that road, then your best bet is
to use the already existing spark session extensions which will allow you
to write such integrations and can be used as an `escape hatch`.

--

Herman van Hövell

Software Engineer

Databricks Inc.

hvanhov...@databricks.com

+31 6 420 590 27

databricks.com

[image: http://databricks.com] <http://databricks.com/>

[image: Announcing Databricks Serverless. The first serverless data science
and big data platform. Watch the demo from Spark Summit 2017.]
<http://go.databricks.com/announcing-databricks-serverless>