Although I assume we could get an account suspended if it started opening
spam issues, yes we default to letting anyone open issues, and potentially
abusing it. That much is the right default and I don't see any policy tweak
that stops that.

I see several INFRA tickets asking to *allow* the Closed -> Reopened
transition, which suggests it's not the default.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-11857?jql=project%20%3D%20INFRA%20AND%20text%20~%20%22reopen%20JIRA%22

I'm accustomed to Closed being a final state that nobody can reopen as a
matter of workflow -- the idea being that anything else should be a new
discussion if the current issue was deemed formally done.

Spark pretty much leaves all issues in "Resolved" status which can still be
reopened, and I think that's right. Although I'd like to limit all
reopening to committers, it isn't that important.

Being able to move a JIRA to Closed permanently seems useful, as it doesn't
interfere with any normal workflow, doesn't actually prevent a new issue
from succeeding it in normal usage, and gives another tool to limit a
specific kind of abuse.